I was never interested in cooking. My mom used to scold me all the
time and state that you have crossed 20 and you should know how to cook. My
aunt used to purposely boost about his son's cooking skills when my mom was
around. My boyfriend flaunted his cooking skills on and off. My grandmother in
my support used mention all the time that her mother-in-law taught her to cook
and that one day i will learn to cook..all by myself. She was fifteen when she
got married. And my mother used this as a tool to make me realize that it’s
high time I know the basic things.
From the past few weeks, there is something that is pulling me
towards the kitchen, and its not the food to eat but the food to be cooked. I
think majority credit goes to the wonderful show Masterchef Australia, the
colour of different food items the way they place it on the plate and the energy
level noticed in the kitchen, makes me want to cook. I obviously know that i
can't cook like them, but i can at least try my hands on cooking.
Also the extra extra free time i have these day, motivated me to do something i
usually don't do. And now that i don't have my mom to scream, I have all the
freedom to do what so ever I want to do in the kitchen...hmm..n that’s COOKING!
The consequences of my cooking are good food seventy percent of the times,
thirty percent flop show, clearing and cleaning the mess on the platform
followed by washing many utensils, which is actually an extra load for my maid.
I am sure cooking Maggie is the first successful step..just
"plus" two minutes, and it’s done. I have cooked food before, like
mutter paneer, roti, dal, rice, bhindi, aalu ki sabjee, rajma,
bataka-paou...bas...thats it..in order to impress someone. And now I can make
pasta in red sauce, pizza, palak paneer, paneer chilli
dry, spinach corn cheese sandwich. And all this to impress my own
self and to surprise myself..
I started writing this post with an aim to share how it feels to
cook.. something you thought you could never do! Truly cooking is no rocket
science, but I don't want to cook average food, I want to cook tasty food. Things
have been easy for me on the kitchen front, as my cook cuts all the vegetable,
she also does the cleaning stuff and Google helps me to know the
recipes and it’s done. Thank god I live in an era where resources are easily
available. But there have been times when all the resources are available but
things still go wrong..like yesterday..I tried making chocolate fudge..but it
turned out to be chocolate gooey fudge or chocolate melted rubber fudge or
excessive gooey malt chocolate sauce...the thing is that I am happy I tried,
and I think I heated it a lot or put more butter or didn't give it time to
set..what so ever it is..I tried..and in my heart I know that one day I will
surely be a master in trying, a master in preparing most dishes, a master in
everlasting motivation and a master in my kitchen.
Goodbye for now..keep cooking J
Take care
Drive safe
Love
Ruchi Trivedi
well, you do make good coffee. so that saves the day! :)
ReplyDelete