Thursday, September 11, 2014

puppets n puppeteer

Every time I call one of my Aunt, Uma Masi to meet, I always receive something or the other....whether it is hours of chat, a book, a new flavored coffee, a new story or the chance to attend some event. These things have directly or indirectly brought me peace. Today, because of her, I got the chance of attending the launch of a new lecture series "D-talks" launched by Natarani. it begin with a brief presentation by Swiss puppeteer Brigitte Shah, who talked on use of puppets as a form of art therapy with people of all age groups for various psychological issues. So I would like to share what I gathered and carried home..

Research points out that any healthy expression of emotions, direct or indirect, helps in release of pent up feelings reducing the chances of deterioration in psychological health. Art is a great medium of expression. Any form of art has always been therapeutic..be it Art therapy, Dance therapy or Music therapy, It always leads to positive expression and psychological growth. Puppet Art therapy seems to be one more addition to the bag of therapies. It appears to have its roots planted in Psychoanalysis, Humanistic theories, person-centered therapy, art therapy, and narrative therapy. What I liked about Puppet Art Therapy is the minimal interference or probing by the therapist. It considers the notion that all individual are innately creative and so the individual explores and naturally discovers himself in this process. But this actually can be a drawback in terms of time. if the session stretches to an year or years, this may develop restlessness over the fact of being unable to find quick fixes in life. But if one is voluntarily on an existential search, I am sure the journey would be worth taking, starting from the raw material, forming the white ball of face, shaping feet and hands, bringing it together, giving it height, and giving it life. Each material used, seems to bring some meaning or sense to the person. And then once the puppet gets an identity, its time to perform on the stage, with a story written by you. The other part includes the freedom to make more number of puppets of your own or select from the large collection of puppets, props and background from the therapist's puppet room for your story. Whats interesting is that, that the individual gets to be the director, producer, script and screenplay writer, designer, hero as well as the heroine of the story.

I think I would love to take this journey. I feel that being the bereaved one, I have the opportunity to direct my story, pour my heart and in this process maybe find meaning for my existence. Having lost him, I always felt and still feel that we are puppets in hands of the invisible super-power named "God". So maybe this might prove to be interesting and therapeutic. This makes me wonder that why do we want things to be in control. Why do we want to fix or control or write our stories. It feels like a constant power struggle against the almighty. May be the best things is to let it be, be an observer...live. Live sounds good..taking each minute as it comes without being judgmental and harsh on yourself. The puppeteer is going to do his job, and what we can do is sit back, complain, cry, laugh, dance, fight, abuse, make, think, find solutions, sing, eat, and keep doing what we are designed to do..that is give and receive love...thats what we are good at...

Anyway coming back to the event, after the brief presentation, Mallika Sarabhai shared stories about the journey into the revival of shadow puppets and association of puppets with dance. I felt mesmerized looking at the shadow puppets. They looked beautiful to me. I felt like a part of the journey..from the past to the present of shadow puppets. I wish I get to see more of this. I wish people appreciate the lost forms of Indian art. I wish I could watch the shadow puppets perform a show in front of the white curtain. I wish I get the opportunity to come across beautiful things like this..
*feeling grateful*

Signing off for now
Drive Safe
Be Safe

Love
Ruchi

No comments:

Post a Comment